Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Life updates

It's been a crazy April day!!!  Michigan has odd weather regardless, but this year has been worse than most.  Last month, the weather was in in the 80s and we had a couple of days that got up into the 90s. Today, it was trying to snow.  GESH!!!

I've been trying to finish the ending of my first book.  Yeah, I'm a writer.  There!  I said it.  :)  I've been working on this silly thing for years, but now...well it's time.  Book one needs to leave the nest and venture out into the universe.

I have changed so much since I started my adventures in writing, and my book has changed along with me.  There was a time when I was nervous to talk about my writing, like it was a dark, dirty secret.  Now...well I suppose I've FINALLY gotten to a place where I know how much I don't know!  I need all the advice I can get!!!

Yesterday, I had an epiphany.  I've been looking for cover art ideas.  I've gone to bookstores.  I've spent hours looking at covers online.  Nothing seemed right.  So, I was talking to one of my buddies at work about my dilemma.  She asked me a couple of questions about my story, and within 5 minutes, I had a cover idea that I think will work.  The execution of said cover, will be its own issue.  LOL  The point is, sometimes you have to be willing to throw things out into the universe, even if it makes you feel vulnerable, because you NEVER know when or where a solution will come from.

Take care!
Juli
  

2 comments:

  1. We've had a cold snap too, though I am not complaining. The longer it is cool, the less time it will be in the 100's... bleh.

    I'm looking forward to seeing your cover by the way!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jo! I've got a pic I want to use, one that I haven't posted, a perk of playing with camera at the local cemetery. Yeah, I'm morbid that way. There was a fresh grave with the funeral flowers still on it, not too unusual except for the roses were a really vibrant shade of red. I'm not sure if I've ever seen roses in this shade, and NEVER for a funeral. They're beautifully inappropriate. Anyways, I got a nice tight shot of them, so not much background to clean up. I'm still trying to decide if I want this image on a white cover or a black one. Black ones are creepier, but they're so over done. I want this to be "different." I also want to do something with the red from the roses. Maybe take a bit of that color, and use it to shadow the title or something. I won't know for sure until I start to play with my paint program.

    So the cover idea inspired a new title, since book two is getting the old one. Here it is:
    "Vampires for the Living, Flowers for the Dead"

    Yes, it's long, but I'm wordy sort of person, so it's fitting. :)

    This first book is about Chloe getting her life together after her father's death and Bobbi's misadventures in parenting a teenager. Yeah, we meet some vampires, but that doesn't become an issue until book 2.

    There a lot of me in this book, as I have experienced the death of a parent and I am a mom, but the characters took over a long time ago. LOL. You know how that goes!

    ReplyDelete